Best and Worst CD Releases of 2010
Ok, so 2011 is nearly half over and I am finally releasing my annual ‘Best (and Worst) of’ list for CDs that were released in 2010.
(1) Most important rule: it had to be released in 2010. Yes, you might notice that many CDs were originally released prior to 2010. However, reissues / re-masters, bonus tracks, greatest hits / best of’s, etc. all make the list as long as it has a release date of 2010.
(2) No country / western…I just can’t do it. Period. End of discussion. Even still, one or two still snuck in to my listening pile. Other than that, anything goes…you’ll see what I mean.
(3) For some reason there is little-to-no classical music on here. Doesn’t mean I don’t like it…just didn’t listen to much of it.
(1) Most important disclaimer: these are just my opinions…take them at face value (I know you will).
(2) Hard to believe, but yes, this list is far from complete. I still have many more CDs in the queue! They will be mentioned when I send out next year’s list.
(3) There were quite a few ‘tweener albums [CDs that could have been in the ‘Hell Yes!’ or ‘Hell No!’ category]. They had to be somewhere.
(4) I guarantee you that I made fun of a band (or bands) that you like…get over it!
(5) I guarantee you that I gave kudos to a band (or bands) that you absolutely cannot stand…ditto.
(6) Is it possible that I overlooked something, misspelled a word, have the wrong genre of music listed, etc? Absolutely…in fact, I hope so. Otherwise, that just means I’m a robot.
(7) The music genre listed in the ‘Would have like to have heard’ tab was generated from http://www.allmusic.com or http://www.amazon.com. If it’s wrong, it’s because of them. Don’t flame me on that one!
(8) There are a few choice words that I’ve used throughout…sorry if any of them offend you.
(9) Apologies for the short reviews. I didn’t have time to write a dissertation on each release.
(10) I was hoping to put together a top-10 best list and a top-10 worst list, but there’s just too much there and I’m out of time, sorry!
What I hope to gain from this list:
(1) I hope I can turn you on to some great music and/or steer you away from some rather questionable releases.
(2) I hope to hear what music turned you on (or off) last year. Please share!!
The Bottom Line:
It was A LOT of work putting this together, but I had fun with it…I hope you do, too! The lists from 2008 and 2009 are also included. The same rules and disclaimers apply for them.